Today at Sleeptight Beds we’re celebrating World Sleep Day®.
Hosted by the World Sleep Society, this annual event is an international celebration of all things snooze-related and a great chance to highlight the importance of getting a good night’s kip.
This year’s theme is ‘Better Sleep, Better Life, Better Planet’ and We Dream the Same Dream here at Sleeptight Beds.
It’s no secret that sleep affects all areas of our lives – from work and learning to health, family and relationships – the world seems a much better place when we’re getting our eight hours in.
Plus it’s better for the planet too as if people are sleeping longer, they’re using up less fuel, electricity and oxygen. And better quality sleep actually reduces the risk of work and road accidents.
To help you achieve quality sleep, the World Sleep Society has created the 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene for Adults:
1. Establish a regular bedtime and waking time.
2. If you are in the habit of taking siestas, do not exceed 45 minutes of daytime sleep.
3. Avoid excessive alcohol ingestion four hours before bedtime, and do not smoke.
4. Avoid caffeine six hours before bedtime. This includes coffee, tea and many energy drinks, as well as chocolate.
5. Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods four hours before bedtime. A light snack before bed is acceptable.
6. Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
7. Use comfortable, inviting bedding.
8. Find a comfortable sleep temperature setting and keep the room well ventilated.
9. Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
10. Reserve your bed for sleep and sex, avoiding its use for work or general recreation.
Of course, there’s no point trying to put all this into practice then lying awake tossing and turning because your bed is too uncomfortable. Your bed plays a huge part in how much sleep you get and that’s where we come in.
Our friendly team are specialists in helping you find the perfect bed for you in terms of comfort and support.